Knitters can really appreciate a handmade gift, but sometimes we just don’t have enough time to create knitted presents for each other. I, for example, have about 80 new ideas for knitted projects a day and I am completely non-committal to any WIP . I begin. rip, and drop projects almost as frequently as I actually finish them. All it takes is a simple change in my mood and what was once meant to be a special gift for someone can transform into a sweater for my miniature pincher because, let’s face it, he looks really adorable in sweaters. It happens. And so I would like to present you with a quick, meaningful, handmade gift solution for all the knitters in your life that involves no actual knitting at all: Knit Print Coasters.
This is a very simple Mod Podge Project that I am sure a lot of you have seen before in another form. Here’s how to make them:
First, print out the Knit Print Templates in the colors and patterns of your choosing:
Cut them out to fit your tiles ( just smaller than 4 inches by 4 inches), like so:
Next you will need to gather the following materials:
4×4 White Tiles (from Home Depot or any local hardware store) (they cost about 15 cents a tile)
Thin Sheet of Cork – Cut out 4 4×4 squares from the sheet.
Now that you have everything you need, it’s time to assemble your gift!
1. Cover the tile with a THIN layer of Mod Podge.
2. Lay one of your 4×4 printed templates on top of the tile. Smooth it out and let it dry slightly before moving on to the next step.
3. Apply another THIN coat of Mod Podge on top of your printed template. Let it dry completely (Mod Podge turns clear when it dries).
4. After your tiles have dried, hot glue the cork to the back of your tiles.
5. After the hot glue has set and the cork feels secure, take your tiles outside. Lay them out on a table and spray the tops of your tiles with the acrylic sealer. Let the sealer dry before moving them back inside. The sealer will literally seal the paper, which allows your tiles to get wet without ruining them.
6. Admire your awesome gift!
These are really easy to make in bulk around the holidays, just line them up assembly style and you can crank out large rows of coasters in very little time. You can also customize your coasters with any printed image of your choosing. I hope you enjoy making these as much as I did!